A couple of years ago I discovered this idyllic little bay just south of Fionnphort with a friend. There was something magical about the evening light as it cast a silvery glow over the landscape. I knew that I would have to return one day. I didn’t know that the name of this bay was Slugan Dubh but I did know it was a great place for Stand Up Paddleboarding.
The Main Points
- Location – Slugan Dubh , Isle of Mull, Scotland
- SUP – Own Fatstick Inflatables, Pink Panther* and Blue Lagoon (*Pink Panther now has a new design – check it out here)
- Cost – Free
- Conditions – Sea/saltwater Coast
- Other users – Beach goers, the occasional swimmer, kayakers
- Entry Point – Sandy Beach
- Surrounding amenities/Bathrooms- Nearby campground and town of Fionnphort
A Wee Blether
Access to the water is easy as there is a nice grassy spot where you can park. There is no overnight camping here but the nearby Fidden Farm has a campsite which was closed when we were there due to the corona virus.
It was hard to capture the light and the beauty of the location as the sun began to set. Slugan Dubh was a truly memorable place to stand up paddleboard.
Crystal clear waters of Slugan Dubh
Part of the enjoyment of stand up paddleboarding at Slugan Dubh was exploring and navigating the rocky outcrops. These created a sheltered place which was also good for swimming. We saw heaps of little crabs scuttling across the sandy bottom but they were too quick for me to capture on film! I love looking down into the crystal clear water and seeing a whole other world.
Idyllic for Stand Up Paddleboards
Check out our other post on the Isle of Mull where we paddled at Calgary Bay.FIND BEAUTIFUL PLACES TO SUP LEARN MORE ABOUT EQUIPMENT WATCH THE LATEST SUP ADVENTURE VIDEO